Palakkad Fort

In AD 1766 Hydrali was constructed the Tipu fort and also known as Palakkad fort stands in the heart of the Palakkad town.The emperor of Mysore province , supposedly to facilitate communication between both sides of the Western Ghats.

 

Palakkad Achan, was originally a tributary of the Zamorin, but had become independent before the beginning of the 18th century.In 1757,Palakkad achan sent a deputation to Haider Ali seeking help against an invasion threatened by the Zamorin. Haider Ali seized upon the opportunity to gain possession of a strategically important location such as Palakkad.That time until 1790 the fort was continually in the hands of the Mysore Sultans.It was first taken by the latter in 1768 when Colonel Wood captured it during his raid on Haider Alis's fortresses, in a few months later haider was retaken it. But in 1783,It was recaptured by Colonel Fullarton .It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin�s troops. In 1790 it was finally captured by the British under Colonel Stuart. It was renovated and was used as a base for operations that ended with the storming of Srirangapatnam.

Iipu Sulthan

The current status of our old fort and the palakkad town hall known as Kotta Maidanam or Fort Maidan. The ground is now used to stage cricket matches, exhibitions and public meetings but which had once served as a stable for the elephants and horses of Tipu's army..

 

 

 

The Palakkad Fort is said to have existed from very ancient times, but believed to be constructed in present form in 1766 A.D, but little is known of its early history. The local ruler, Palakkad Achchan, was originally a tributary of the Zamorin, but had become independent before the beginning of the eighteenth century.[1] In 1757 he sent a deputation to Haider Ali seeking help against an invasion threatened by the Zamorin. Haider Ali seized upon the opportunity to gain possession of a strategically important location such as Palghat, and from that time until 1790 the fort was continually in the hands of the Mysore Sultans or the British. It was first taken by the latter in 1768 when Colonel Wood captured it during his raid on Haider Alis's fortresses, but it was retaken by Haider a few months later. It was recaptured by Colonel Fullarton in 1783, after a siege that lasted eleven days but was abandoned the following year. It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin’s troops. In 1790 it was finally captured by the British under Colonel Stuart. It was renovated and was used as a base for operations that ended with the storming of Srirangapatnam. The fort continued to be garrisoned until the middle of 19th century. In the early 1900s it was converted into a taluk office - See more at: http://www.keralain360.com/Kerala-monuments-palakkad-fort-panorama#sthash.2NTPr2JQ.dpuf

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Additional information

A Solsolis Venture Other initiatives are