Sree Sundareswara Temple Kannur

Sree Sundareswara Temple is located 2 kilometres away from Kannur town. In 1916, Sree Narayana Guru, the great social reformer of Kerala, founded this temple. Dedicated to LordShiva, this temple is one of the four temples consecrated by the Guru in Kannur district. Here, Lord Shiva is worshipped in the form of Sundareswara (God of Beauty). The temple is open to all irrespective of their caste or religion. 

The eight-day annual festival of the temple is celebrated in the months of April- May. Many religious and cultural programs add colour to the festival. On the last day the Arattu (Holy Bath) ritual is held. It is followed by procession of caparisoned elephants and fireworks, which mark the end of the festival.

Inspired by the ideals of the Guru, Shri. Varathur Kaniyil Kunhikannan took the initiative with his friends namely Choyi Butler, Kariyan Govindan Gurukkal, Manikkoth Govindan Bhagavathar, Chamakkali Kannan Mestri, Poovadan Krishnan, Chandroth Anandan Mesthri, Oyitti Krishnan Vakkeel etc. to form a ‘Sabha’ to make a temple for the down-trodden sections of Kannur district.

In 1907 Swamiji visited several places to find a suitable location and identified the apt place at Talap.  At that time he remarked about the location that ‘This is the most suitable place for a temple’. The ‘Kuttiyadikkal’ function was held on 17-01-1909 and the foundation stone was laid by Swamiji himself on 24-01-1909. Guru authorized the renowned Vasthu Shilpi Divyasree Chaithanya Swamy to construct the temple as per his guidelines.

On 22-04-1910 ‘Shadadhara Prathishta’ was solemnized by Divyasree Chaithanya Swamikal.  After completing the construction of the Sreekovil and Namaskkara Mandapam, the Guru himself consecrated the temple on 11-04-1916 in the presence of a huge gathering of devotees.  At that time Guru remarked that the people of Kannur are beautiful and the sculpture work was marvelous hence Sree Sundareswara was the apt name for the temple.

The Guru’s Statue was consecrated in 1938 and the Dwajastambam and Deepastambam were also consecrated in 1938. The other milestones in the development of the temple are the consecration of the Balikkappura in 1939, the Gajamandapam in 1943, the Temple Pond in 1946, Nalambalam with Upadevatha (Ganapathi, Subramanyam, Parvathi, Ayyappan & Navagraham) on 22nd March 1999.  The Annual Temple Festival is celebrated every year on Pooyam Naal of the Meenam Month for eight days. The other important celebrations conducted in the Temple by the Yogam are the Sree Narayana Jayanthi and Samadhi, the Mahashivarathri, the Navarathri and Mandala Pooja celebrations.

In addition to this Divyasree Chaithanya Swamikal in divine fervor devoted his mind and body for the construction of Jaganatha Temple at Thalassery and Sreekandeswara Temple at Kozhikode.  Divyasree Chaithanya Swamikal attained Mahasamadhi on 02-12-1953 at Kannur and his mortal remains were laid to rest in the property of Sree Bhakthi Samvardhini Yogam near Sree Sundareswara Temple.  A Samadhi Mandapam with his statue is there in the premises of the Temple

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Additional information

A Solsolis Venture Other initiatives are