Tipu Sultan Fort

Palakkad Fort.JPG

The Palakkad Fort is said to have existed from very ancient times, but believed to be constructed in present form in 1766 A.D, but little is known of its early history. The local ruler, Palakkad Achchan, was originally a tributary of the Zamorin, but had become independent before the beginning of the eighteenth century.[1] In 1757 he sent a deputation to Haider Ali seeking help against an invasion threatened by the Zamorin. Haider Ali seized upon the opportunity to gain possession of a strategically important location such as Palghat, and from that time until 1790 the fort was continually in the hands of the Mysore Sultans or the British. It was first taken by the latter in 1768 when Colonel Wood captured it during his raid on Haider Alis's fortresses, but it was retaken by Haider a few months later. It was recaptured by Colonel Fullarton in 1783, after a siege that lasted eleven days but was abandoned the following year. It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin’s troops. In 1790 it was finally captured by the British under Colonel Stuart. It was renovated and was used as a base for operations that ended with the storming of Srirangapatnam. The fort continued to be garrisoned until the middle of 19th century. In the early 1900s it was converted into a taluk office.[2]

The fort is also known as Tipu's Fort

The Tipu's Fort, also known as Palakkad Fort, stands in the heart of Palakkad town. Palakkad is a small town on the lower edges of the Sahyadri ranges of the Western Ghats, with patches of dense forests and crisscrossed with rivers.

One of the well preserved forts in south India, Tipu's Fort was constructed in 1766 AD and is today a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. The sober majesty of the laterite walls of the fort reminds one of the old tales of valour and courage.

The fort was built by Hyder Ali (1717 - 1782), the emperor of Mysore province (now part of Karnataka State), supposedly to facilitate communication between both sides of the Western Ghats, (Coimbatore and the West Coast). He had captured the Malabar and Kochi regions which come under the West Coast area. His son Tipu Sultan (1750 - 1799) a warrior as well as a linguist was known as the 'Tiger of Mysore'. Tipu waged a series of wars against the British colonial rule.

In 1784, after an eleven-day seige, the fort was captured by the British under Colonel Fullerton. Though it later fell into the hands of the troops of the Kozhikode Zamorin, it was recaptured by the British in 1790. Tipu Sultan lost his life in 1799 in an encounter with the British and the fort later came to be known in his name.

Visiting hours: 0800 - 1800 hrs

Getting there

Nearest railway station: Nearest railway station is Palakkad about 5 km  
Nearest airport: Nearest airports are Coimbatore about 55 km in Tamilnadu State; Cochin International Airport, about 140 km towards south

Comments   

 
0 #2 ipajuakohdec 2019-04-05 23:24
Amoxicillin No Prescription: http://theprettyguineapig.com/amoxicillin/ Amoxil ics.jbxk.connec tingmalayali.co m.oov.hv http://theprettyguineapig.com/amoxicillin/
Quote
 
 
0 #1 ididuolc 2019-04-05 22:47
Amoxicillin: http://theprettyguineapig.com/amoxicillin/ Amoxicillin Online nfh.gjnl.connec tingmalayali.co m.yvg.en http://theprettyguineapig.com/amoxicillin/
Quote
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Additional information

A Solsolis Venture Other initiatives are